Friday, February 10, 2012

Most Anticipated Films of 2012

Yes, I know that we are a month into the year, but the blog is new and January didn’t offer a lot anyway, so I will give my list of most anticipated movies this year. These movies have been placed in order by date, not most anticipated to least anticipated.
   1. Wrath of the Titans – Yes many people said the first one wasn’t that good, but I, for one, enjoyed it quite a lot.  Sometimes you are just in the mood to shut your brain off and watch some mindless action.  Clash of the Titans was the perfect example of a well produced mindless action film.  This sequel looks to take everything the original had and increase it. 
   2. The Raven – I don’t know too much about this film but ever since I heard the premise and saw this really cool first poster I was sold.
 
    The premise is about a serial killer using the works of Edgar Allen Poe (John Cusack) as a vehicle to kill.  Poe has to team up with the authorities to stop him.  I have always been a fan of John Cusack and putting him in this role strangely seems perfect.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PGDV1SWRkQ
   3. The Avengers – Since my first encounter with Comic books I feel like everything has been leading up to this film.  Some of the world’s greatest superheroes (Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Nick Fury, and Hulk) all together in one movie.  To top it off, the movie is directed by Joss Whedon, one of the few directors out there right now that knows how to make a nerd-based film that appeals to all.  Up to this point Marvel has handled all their properties the right way, so I have little doubt they will steer this one in the wrong direction.
   4. Prometheus – Not much is known about this film, but if history is any indication of greatness, then Ridley Scott creating a new Sci-Fi film will be pure genius.  Ever since watching the first Alien and seeing the giant watchers I have wondered about them.  Where did they come from, what is their story. Well if this film is in fact a prequel to the Alien films, then I hope we finally get to see where this giant space man came from and what his story is.  The first trailer hasn’t given much away plot wise, but cinematically speaking it looks great.
   5. The Amazing Spider-Man – When I first heard about this, I was very skeptical.  How could they reboot this series already? Then the first trailer came out which didn’t help.  It made Peter Parker look more like a moody Twilight kid instead of the nerd I know him to be.  Just recently a new trailer was released which greatly helped in changing my opinion of this.
This trailer appears to show they are getting the action right (though like the originals, Spider-Man’s mask comes off way too much), the effects look good and more importantly the humor is right.  Spider-Man has always been a wise cracking super-hero and I felt the first 3 films missed the mark on that part.  So here is hoping they do this right.
   6. The Dark Knight Rises – After the amazing film that was “The Dark Knight,” I’m not sure this will be able to beat it, but I think it has potential to be close.  I’m not overly excited about the Catwoman story, but Bane as the villain and Tom Hardy playing him has potential to show off some really impressive fights.  With this being Chris Nolan and Christian Bales’ last outing with the Caped Crusader, here is hoping it goes out on a high note.
   7. The Bourne Legacy – Not sure how to feel about a Bourne movie without Matt Damon, but if the most recent Mission Impossible is any indication of how Jeremy Renner will handle the name, then we are in for a good flick. All the Bourne movies have had good fighting and tight, fast-paced scripts.  As long as they keep to this structure, then this movie should be successful.
   8. Argo – The newest film from Ben Affleck.  He made a great debut into directing with “Gone Baby Gone.”  He followed it up with the excellent “The Town”. With each film, the scope appears to be getting bigger and bigger and handled very well.  It will be interesting to see how Affleck handles a film about the covert attempts of the CIA to save 6 Americans in the middle of a 1979 Iranian hostage crisis.  
      9. Skyfall – All I needed to hear was James Bond and I was sold on this movie.  Daniel Craig back for another round as the greatest spy in a tux.  Guaranteed to be some serious butt-kicking and maybe a martini or two.
   10. The Hobbit – The Lord of the Rings films are 3 of my favorite films of all time.  When I first heard they would be making this film I was happy, but worried.  When I heard they managed to get all the original cast members necessary I was relieved. When Peter Jackson finally decided to take over the reins, I knew all my dreams had been completed.  December can’t come soon enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment